K: Eataly, Corporal Thompson's Madison Cottage, Franconi's Hippodrome
An historic bowling tournament billed as the most "elaborate ever held" in 1909 at the
original "Madison Square Garden" on this location.
For the first time in its history, The National Bowling Association held its International Tournament in New York City from May 24 to June 12, 1909. The tournament was held in Madison Square Garden, then located on 26th Street. The second Madison Square Garden was designed by noted architect Stanford White, who was commissioned by a team of wealthy clients, including J.P. Morgan and Andrew Carnegie, for a reported final cost of $3 million when it opened in 1890. Bowling's popularity boomed in the late 19th Century, and the Garden was deemed a perfect fit for the sport. "For the tournament, which will bring together many of the best bowlers of the country and the crack teams that have figured in the championships in former years, Madison Square Garden will be converted into a huge bowling hall, the entire floor space of the building occupied by twenty-four high-grade alleys, laid in the amphitheatre," reported The New York Times on January 17, 1909.
On opening night of the 1909 tournament, which offered $50,000 in prize money, a total of 4,000 fans were in attendance. The three-week lineup featured 313 five-man teams, 700 two-man teams, and 1,420 individual players.